Tea cake without butter
Made without any butter, this vanilla sponge cake or tea cake is a healthy dessert that can be eaten by itself or used as the base for another dessert recipe or for fruit trifles.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 35 minutes
• 3 large eggs
• 1 cup flour (maida)
• 3/4 cup castor sugar
Baking powder 1 teaspoon
• 1 /2 tsp vanilla essence
• Sieve the flour and baking powder.
• Beat the eggs and sugar in a deep bowl using an electric beater, until the mixture thickens and doubles in quantity.
• Add the vanilla essence and mix it in gently.
• Fold in the sieved flour and mix it in carefully with a spatula.
• Pour the batter into a greased and flour-dusted 8″ diameter round tin or bread loaf pan.
• Bake it in a hot oven at 180°C (400°F) for 35 minutes.
• The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and has a springy texture if you poke it.
• Take it out of the oven and let it stand for a minute. Then, loosen the sides with a knife, invert the tin over a rack and tap it sharply to remove the cake.
• Let it cool before you use it.